Thursday, July 18, 2019

    The Latest: Police: blood in man's apartment linked to girl

    The Associated Press
    This undated photo released by the Houston Police Department shows Maleah Davis. Houston police are trying to determine what happened to the 4-year-old girl after her stepfather said she was taken by men who released him and his 2-year-old son after abducting them as well. An Amber Alert was issued Sunday morning, May 7, 2019, for Maleah Davis. (Houston Police Department via AP)

    The Latest on the disappearance of 4-year-old Maleah Davis (all times local):

    6 p.m.

    Houston police say they found “blood evidence” in the apartment of Derion Vence that matches that of the missing 4-year-old girl, Maleah Davis.

    In a statement on the arrest of Vence, Houston police say that he has been charged with tampering with evidence.

    They also say that Vence was observed carrying a full laundry basket from the apartment.

    The laundry basket was found in the trunk of Vence’s silver Nisson Altima, which was recovered in Missouri City, Texas, Thursday.

    Vence reported last Saturday that Maleah had been abducted from him.


    5:30 p.m.

    The man who reported a 4-year-old Texas girl had been abducted from him last weekend has been arrested near Houston.

    U.S. Marshals’ southern district spokesman Alfredo Perez says that Derion Vence was taken into custody Saturday at his brother’s house in Sugar Land, Texas, about 22 miles (35 kilometers) southwest of Houston.

    Perez says the Houston Police Department requested U.S. Marshals assist in serving the arrest warrant. It was not immediately known if the arrest was related to the disappearance of Maleah Davis. Houston police could not be reached for comment.

    Vence told police last Saturday that men in a pickup truck abducted him, Maleah and his 2-year-old son before freeing him and the boy. But Sugar Land police, who initially interviewed him, said his story kept changing and didn’t add up.


    This version of the story corrects the spelling of the suspect’s first name to Derion. Houston police initially spelled it Darion but now say it is Derion.


    This article was syndicated from abcnews